February 12, 2019
AN OCEAN HOUSE GUEST FAVOURITE
Chef Brodie Swanson's dungeness crab was undoubtedly a favourite among Ocean House guests this past season, which is not a surprise - there are few things more delicious that fresh caught Haida Gwaii dungeness crab! After many requests for the recipe, we are pleased to share it with you here.
- Whole Dungeness Crab
- 200g Black Garlic
- 150g Ginger
- 150g Green Onion
- 150ml Fish Sauce
- 60ml Honey
FOR THE CRAB
- Use about ¼tbs of salt per gallon of fresh water and bring to a boil.
- Immerse crab and bring water to a boil.
- Boil the crab for approx. 18-20 minutes.
- Remove crab from pot and rinse under cold water. Put aside.
FOR THE SAUCE
- Roughly chop the black garlic, ginger and green onion.
- Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender, blitz until smooth and mostly black and in a paste consistency.
- Use as much or as little butter as desired.
- Half the crab.
- Sautee the black garlic paste until very fragrant then add desired amount of butter.
- Add crab and stir thoroughly until crab is coasted in sauce.
- Garnish with chopped green onion.
Present to your guests along with your choice of accompaniments.
Hala ga taa come and eat!
Need a source for Haida Gwaii seafood? Shop online at Haida Wild Seafoods - HaidaWild.com